Sunday, December 5, 2010

'Tis the Season!

For surgery at our house! Of course since I told my friend Kerry that I was "not going to worry about Eli's hernia anymore; I was quite sure it had gone away on its own.." this happened.

One year ago at this time we visited the ER for Eli's inguinal hernia complete with a helicopter ride to John's Hopkins. Last Sunday night we made our 3rd ER visit since last December, and on Friday Eli had surgery to correct the cause of our visits. Officially the procedure was a "right orchiopexy" and he had his peritoneum placed back in his abdominal cavity and his inguinal canal stitched shut. In short, we hope not to see a hernia again.
It has been quite a week! Eli was sedated and given morphine whilst in the ER, and two different docs tried to push the herniated bowel back in. Mom was NOT present for this and it was most traumatizing (for me, Eli won't remember it). He was to have surgery last Sunday night, but of course, once the surgeon arrived, the hernia was no longer there. He thought I was crazy and was the sterotypical-arrogant-surgeon-type. We were sent to ultrasound, Carly I thought of you the whole time and wished fondly that you would have been there to do it. Fortunately there was a radiologist there, and he verified that there was bowel in Eli's "man parts," and that his family-jewel was in his abdominal cavity near his thigh. YIKES!

Doc wanted us to come in for surgery on Friday, and we did. Tuesday was rough because the hernia came out again, but we made it safe and sound and perfectly prepped for the big event on Friday morn.

Eli was so calm! The surgery was actually really easy on me. He held his nurse's hand and didn't cry, so there was no emotional separation for the two of us. It did take them 45 minutes to place his IV though, because he was dehydrated from surgery prep and he is chubby. He looks like a pin cushion now. A cute pin cushion though.

He has some stiches and bruises in a place that makes daddy weak at the knees when he sees them, and makes mommy reflect on how she felt after she gave birth to sweet Elijah. His belly button is also swollen and sore where the scope went in. But he is bouncing back quickly. A special thanks goes out to Tylenol with Codeine.

******Eli begain walking on Thursday Dec. 2nd, the DAY before his surgery. I am so proud, he is 13 months and 29.5 pounds (as of Friday). I am ELATED that he can use his legs now.

..........Going with the 'season of surgery' theme at our house; Logan will be having his adenoids and tonsils removed on Wednesday. One year ago this month, he had his first sinus infection. It's Christmas time again, so it only seems appropriate that we are facing the same issues that we faced last Christmas. Only this time, they are getting fixed!

A special, special, special, "I don't know what I'd do without your help" thanks, goes out to Seth's mom for being here with us to help us take care of kiddos.

P.S. If I hear or am forced to speak the name of the man part that rhymes with "totem," or the one that rhymes with "cresticle," well........... I think I would like to try a daughter please. :)

11 comments:

Meagan said...

Wow. What an ordeal. I hope that the surgery fixed it all. How is your new home in Texas? You should post pics of it.

Carly said...

Oh, Kara! You and your poor chubbers! I also wish I could have been there to do his ultrasound. Hopefully they were nice to you. Were you at a children's hospital? So glad his totem and cresticles are okay. :) Good luck with Mr. Logan's surgery. Yay for modern medicine!!!

Kerry and Dave said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe all that happened just a few days after our conversation! Well, I can relate on what it is like to be the mom of a little guy having surgery on his "man-parts" as you refer to them :) T was 15 or 16 months. But nice to have it over with! Glad you got it taken care of and best of luck with Logan's T and A!

Avree said...

Wow you sure have been through it lately. Hopefully after Logan's surgery things can calm down and you can just enjoy your beautiful new home!

Patty Girl said...

I love Eli in that photo! It sounds like a lot of stress but I am so glad everything went smoothly for the surgery. It must be a relief to know that you won't have to worry about it any more. And good luck with Logan's surgery. I'm sure it will help him feel so much better.
BTW I love your house! It looks so nice. I want to see more of it!

The Johnsons' said...

Oh my poor little Nugs! I wish I could be there to hold and kiss him! You'll just have to do it for me. Kiss my Logan for me too!

Maybury said...

HA! HA! You make me smile Kara. I am glad things are going well. I think you have had your fair share of "boy issues." Kyle wouldn't go to Grant's hernia surgery or his circumcision SOO I made the deal with him that if took care of things when Grant couldn't remember Dad would go to the maturation program and explain the birds and the bees later in life.

Bj and Christie said...

Wendy told me about all your stress. I am so sorry. Surgery is no fun. Hope things are a little quieter at your house now. Keep in touch.

Katy and Rob Bodily said...

I am sorry to hear about all of the health issues with your kids. I am glad they are all resolved now. I hope your kids are feeling better for Christmas so you guys can enjoy the holidays.

Katy and Rob Bodily said...

Can I have your address? I have a Christmas card for you. email me at katybodily@hotmail.com if you can. Thanks.

Bree Johnson said...

hey miss kara- if you want to e-mail I'll write you back on the symptoms ect...i know that feeling of worry and it sucks breejohnsonmodevents@gmail.com