Monday, March 2, 2009

Home-made Cafe Rio


I miss Cafe Rio so much it hurts sometimes. My favorite food is Mexican, and FYI, there is NO "Mexican" food here on the east coast. There's Chipotle's (which doesn't cut it) but no other savory tasty real Mexican food here. I live in sea food land. I was told that I would be able to "find that kind(Cafe Rio) of food anywhere" when I expressed concern over moving away from Utah. News flash: good Mexican food cannot be "found anywhere..." *sigh*

Thankfully my sister in-laws, Wendy and Ann have given me recipes which closely replicate my beloved Cafe Rio. We made it for some friends here on Friday night, and they loved it. Isn't that right Strom family? :) JaNeil, you wanted these recipes a LONG time ago. I apologize, here they are now.

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
4 lbs pork roast
5 cans tomato sauce
3 tsp pressed garlic cloves
1 1/2- 3 cups brown sugar-depending on how sweet you like it
4 tsp cumin
4 cups Dr. Pepper
2-4 Tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
Cook in slow cooker for 10 hours on low

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
8 oz. La Costena salsa verde-found it at Walmart here in MD, in Utah I used La Victoria, but I like La Costena better
1/2 pack dry ranch dressing mix (Hidden valley is my favorite)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 low fat mayo
1/4 buttermilk (very important to the taste)
1/4- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 clove fresh garlic
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup sugar

Blend in a blender, refrigerate and eat

Guacamole
I just squish an avocado or two, mix in some homemade salsa, salt, pepper, and lime juice.
mmmm......

Cilantro Lime Rice
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/4 cup rice-I use basmati
2 1/4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
juice and zest of 1 fresh lime-add more if you'd like
3 Tbsp fresh, chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp cumin
Melt butter in skillet and brown rice in butter. Then add liquid and rest of ingredients. Bring to a boil then cook rice as usual until fluffy (20 minutes ish)

Home made flour tortillas
I've seen many a recipe for these babies, and many call for lard or shortening. I refuse to feed my family that. My mom gave me this recipe which she got from a Mexican lady in her ward when we lived in San Diego. It is EXCELLENT.

3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp canola oil (I used EVOO, but it had an overpowering flavor in the tortillas)
1 cup warm water

Mix dry ingredients, then add oil. Mix with a fork until dough is crumbly, like pie dough.
Gradually add the water, some days I use more, some days I use less. The result will be a soft squishy dough. Make dough into egg sized balls and roll out. Add more or less flour if needed. If the dough is not wet enough, your tortillas will be thick and tough (personal experience)

I usually cook them in my dutch oven on my stove top, I like the way cast iron conducts heat and cooks quickly. Any pan will do though.

It takes some work, and a little practice, but it's SOOOOO worth the result.

15 comments:

Kerry and Dave said...

Yes, that is right! It was all FABULOUS! (especially the company :)) Thanks for the recipes. Cafe Rio has finally arrived (indirectly) in Maryland! yeah!

Carly said...

Ok....I love you. I have a pork roast at home and I was actually googling "Cafe Rio Pork" today. And looky here...you gave me the recipe for the whole salad!!! You're wonderful. So the roast I have is not quite 3 pounds. Should I make any adjustments to the recipe?

The Goodrich's said...

Mmm, delicious...

The Garfields said...

Oh thank you thank you thank you!!! These will be cherised recipes. I usually end up ruining everything I make but I will let you know how this turns out. Thanks again!

Avree said...

Wow, it looks like real Cafe Rio! I got these recipes from a cousin once but I decided if I really wanted Cafe Rio that bad I'd rather buy it than go to all that work. But it's nice for you since you don't live by one. Maybe when you come here we could go to Cafe Rio, or Cafe Sabor or somewhere else with good Mexican (not Beto's).

The Garfields said...

oh and p.s. I love your family picture!!!

DeeAura said...

AH! I'm so HUNGRY now! :) I have these recipes too, and if there were ever a fire in my home, I would need a few essentials, but this would be included in them. Ridiculous? yes. Unwarranted? No. Absolutely not. :)

Elena Loo said...

yummy!
Hey - I really hope we can be friends again when we get up there. Help finding a place would be good too! I think the campus is in College Park, but we'd love to live anywhere we can feel safe :) We'll look at those places you suggested too. Thanks!! We'll hopefully be there in July!

Meagan said...

THose look tasty, I am glad you gave out the recipe cuz I am gonna have to try it out.

The Cassity's said...

HI, so I've sucked at blogging, but it was totally worth reading your blog to come across that wonderful recipe. I will have to cook it soon.

Elena Loo said...

Hey Kara,
I got your comment today. Thank you so much for ther offer! I think that Josh or I will take you up on that. We can only afford to send one of us out there. I'd love to come, but with work, chances are it would probably be Josh. Is that ok? We're thinking around april 28 - 30. just because that's when projects are over and what I brought up for plane ticket quotes ☺. We'll narrow the places that we want to see down to a few and make appt or whatever is needed. Let me know if those days would be ok for you?

Kenny D said...

I'm actually looking at a cafe rio from my window at work right now. I'm gonna eat a pork burrito in your honor.
p.s. hi seth

Elena Loo said...

Hey! I think we may have changed plans. A weekend flight isn't that much more, so we talked and are probably going to send me out on a weekend. If there is a BAD weekend to come - let me. Otherwise, I was king of looking at the first of May-ish. I am excited to see you!

Elena Loo said...

Ok - sorry I'm lame and keep leaving our plans on a comment like this.. I really need to just email you, but all I have access to at work is this.
We finalized plans - can you email me? ElenaMadsen2004@gmail.com

Cassie Jo and Payton said...

Hey! My mom freaked out when I showed her this recipe! She was like hurry print it right now! So thanks so much for the recipe!!!