Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My forgotten favorite


This past weekend Seth and I ended our Chili's strike. We have been boycotting the restaurant for two years now due to a food poisoning incident back when we were in Texas........ewwwwww.......chicken Caesar wrap= BAD. We decided the establishment had suffered our loss long enough; I ordered the chicken tortilla soup and the memory of a long lost recipe rushed back! Some Texas friends of ours had us over for dinner and they served us this soup. I had forgotten how utterly delightful it was. Then I remembered that the McCool's (friends in Texas) had given us this very recipe, or one as close to Chili's as is possible. I made some minor tweaks to make it a bit more heart healthy. So, I am sharing it with all of you, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Tortilla Chicken Soup *12 servings
1 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
1 lb chicken breast, cooked
1/2 c. diced onion
5 cloves minced garlic
4 c. chicken or vegetable broth- low sodium bullion works well
1 c. masa harina - purchased at Wal-mart
3 c. water
1 c. enchilada sauce
14 oz. velveeta
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin

Saute garlic and onion together in olive oil until onions are translucent (about 2 min). Add broth to onions and garlic. Combine masa harina with 2 c. water, whisk in a bowl. Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic, and broth. Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, spices, and cheese and bring to a boil. Shred chicken and add it. Simmer 30-40 min or until thick. Garnish with pico de gallo, guacamole, fresh lime, sour cream, or tortilla chips.

2 comments:

marni said...

ha ha! olive garden used to be my favorite place to eat, but it too has suffered the loss of a customer. it has been many years since we have been there and it still sickens me when i think about it. but i love the tortilla soup from chili's, so i'll definately make it! thanks! and also, lilly requests more videos of logan. she watched the comforter one over and over... :p

DeeAura said...

yummy!!! Also...I'll bet Chilis is VERY sorry for what they did...how thoughtless of them! Jerks. They better have learned their lesson. Now I'm hungry, and I want to make that soup. More importantly, I want to EAT that soup, and it's not even 9 a.m. I hate working when I want to eat.