Wednesday, October 20, 2010

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (scream)

Today as I was reading to Logan before his nap (it was a rest, he didn't sleep), anyway, as I was reading to him I saw a beetle-ish bug crawling up the wall next to his bed. I squished it with a book and it exploded red blood all over the wall. Gross huh? Here's the thing: I remembered from my biology classes that "bugs" don't have red blood (they don't have iron in it like we do), so red blood in a bug means the bug was eating a person or animal.

I googled and discovered a perfect match: A BEDBUG. After I finished puking, I leaped off the bed myself, and then examined him for bites. I found a few red dot-bites and he told me that a "skeeto did it." I then googled "bed bug bite" and they looked like Logan's bites. After I finished puking again, I ripped the sheets off his bed and found nothing.

This will be me as I stalk bed bugs in the middle of the night. Yay.

Pssssssst!!! Thankfully we're MOVING soon! We closed on a home on Thursday, here in San Antonio. I didn't want to post until the purchase was official. Now it is, so I will post about the new house in a day or so.......I want the air to clear from my bed bug vent first.

6 comments:

Cara said...

I would be totally freaking out too! I did read a little article on bedbugs once and if I were you I'd totally sanitize all of my bedsheets before moving into your new house because they will travel with you and sometimes you can't see them! OH SO GROSS! I'm so sorry, you've had some interesting adventures. But congrats on the new house! Hooray!

Meagan said...

So you guys are gonna stay in Texas. That is exciting on your new home. Good luck with moving and all.

Bed Bugs are SUPER nasty.

Avree said...

I just listened to a podcast on bedbugs (you already knew I was a nerd so I can admit that). They are super hard to get rid of (as if you didn't know that). I would call an exterminator to spray your stuff when you move because they can be really hard to get out of furniture. Also, they said on the podcast you have to vacuum the pages of all your books or put them in a plastic bag for 6 months. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

Yuck. We might be having this problem. too.
Here is what we have found to do:
1. Wash all bedding in hot hot water and dry it on high.
2. If you can, take your mattresses outside in the hot sunshine for as long as you can. The heat should kill most of the bugs. If you are like us and can't take them outside, we bought/borrowed a steamer and steam cleaned the top and sides of the mattress.
3. The most helpful thing was to go to Walmart and buy a plastic mattress cover. The ones that go all the way around and zip onto the bed. This smooothers the buggers.

Good luck! and Yuck!

Niki said...

I think that is one of the most disgusting things I have heard for quite some time! I'm sorry I would be freaking out too! I think I am going to keep my kids on the plastic mattresses until we move gross again!

Maybury said...

GROSS! I would grossed out too. I hope it gets all taken care of before you move. Congrats on the house!