Monday, October 20, 2008
Moab
Last weekend was UEA and my mom and Makenna had it off. My parents and Makenna planned a trip to Moab, and Seth and I decided it would be fun for me to see again and fun for him to see for the first time before we left Utah. My grandma decided to come too, and at the last minute we convinced Kami that delicate arch and a weekend with family would be cooler than her Dashboard Confessionals concert. She'd already bought the ticket and she STILL came! YAY!
We started out Thurs morning and drove to Price to see our childhood favorite dinosaur museum at the College of Eastern Utah. Good ole' Al the Allosaurus:) Logan LOVED the sandbox they had in the kids area. He didn't want to get out but finally did after he wiped out on the hidden dino bones that are under the sand (you are supposed to dig in the sand and find them). He hurt his thumb and EVERY time he looked at it, for the entire duration of our trip, he would get all sad and show it to grandma. Of course Grandma kissed it better and made a big deal out of it. Today He has still been showing me his scab every half hour or so and it had to be kissed better before the day could continue :)
After our dino tour we headed on to Green River. We stayed in the Comfort Inn and had an excellent time. We had an indoor pool and conjoining rooms. It was perfect. Thanks of course to Grandma for making the stay possible for Seth and Logan and me.
On Friday we headed to Arches National Park. It brought back a flood of memories for me since I hadn't been there since I was a kid and we and grandma and grandpa had our old Volkswagon vans. Delicate arch was as awe-inspiring as ever and I highly recommend it to everyone. The hike is short and quite easy. My mom went with us, she was VERY determined and I am so proud of her for hiking with us. The day was perfect, not a breath of wind, or a cloud, and ir was 80 degrees. The sky was so blue against the red rocks. Logan traveled in his Kelty kid pack--I recommend one of these to everyone as well--and through the whole hike he kept saying "OOOOOOOOHH WOW!" It was great. Check out the video, he was in awe :)
We also touristed at the visitor's center and we three sisters and mom bought matching delicate arch t-shirts. Notice the orange t-shirts at the arch. Yep, we wore them on the hike to delicate arch. Geeks. I love it though, and I am fantasizing that it will be a conversation piece when we are living back east. We'll see.
After the hike we did the car tour of the balanced rock, parade of elephants, other arches....etc. We saw "the bear" indian petroglyph. It's cool to see, but my mom is obsessed with it. It was really quite funny to see her so excited and snapping pictures furiously. We had dinner at the Moab pizza hut (Seth was so happy) and we moseyed around Moab till sundown.
Seth and Kenna and I played a rousing game of "guess that food" (it's 20 questions but food is the only subject) in the car on the way back to green river. P.S. There isn't much in Green River, at all. On our first night there we decided to check the phonebook for restaurants. We chose "Frank's pizza parlor" and headed there for dinner. We caravanned there and as we approached the creepy looking building I could see Kami and grandma and mom ALL shaking their heads "no" from their car in front of us. Upon approaching, we saw that apparently Frank's had a grease fire and part of the roof caved in. We had a good laugh but the question remains: why is a burned up restaurant which looks like it could have burned down in 1990 LISTED in the phone book? We ended up settling for one of three restaurants :puke. Don't eat in Green River Utah.
The trip was amazing, I am still on a high from the get away, the swimming, and the best part--the hike to delicate arch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Haha that video is so cute! I love that he has cookies all over his face! It looks like you had a good trip, I'll have to show your picturse to Matt, it'll make him so excited to go to Moab this weekend.
Cute Logan! Sadly, I have never been to the Arches either-and I have lived in Utah my whole life! Looks like lots of fun.
Oh yah, gotta love the 3 hour naps!
I've never been to Moab. It looks beautiful. About the blog book- the website I used didn't transfer pictures from slideshows. But you can add as many pictures as you want to the book. You'll just have to upload them again in the blurb program, which I thought was very easy and user friendly. I don't do slide shows anymore though- mainly so I won't have to upload again for my next book. :) Good luck.
You are so lucky to go on that fun family vacation. Rob and I went river rafting last summer hiked to the Arches. So much fun we love Moab. Love Pictures and the video.
How fun! I haven't been to Moab since I was like 4 or 5. Kenny and I should make the trip. Does hiking to Delicate Arch require you don't be afraid of heights? I was thinking it does. I love that video of Logan! He's so big. I can't believe he's saying things. I guess I haven't seen him since friendship fest last year. Wow, coming up on a year! FYI...I'm thinking our going away get-together should be this Tuesday. I'm finalizing some things with Ash. Love ya.
Isn't Moab so great!? We went around this time last year. Looks like you guys had lots of fun. I'm catching up on blogs today, you guys are moving! You will love the east coast!
Your trip looks like it was a ton of fun! We are going to miss you guys around- good thing you have a blog so we can keep in touch :) ! I have never been to Moab either, Seth- that will now be on our list of trips to take!
Post a Comment