Saturday, March 20, 2010

A movie and a book.


Today Seth took me to see Avatar in 3D. The special effects were really cool, but seeing as I am not a battle fan, I thought the movie was way too long. Also, I felt like it was a bit anti-the-way we-live.......overall: cool.

We saw the movie at the mall (HUGE mistake on a Saturday btw). We walked around the mall before the show, and I stumbled upon a book in the bookstore. The title caught my eye "The Explosive Child;" then the subtitle summed up my life "A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children."

I'm not a fan of parenting books, mostly because I don't think parents write them. (I am still harboring ill feelings toward the author of "Baby-Wise: A guide to parent directed feeding") However, the pages I read described Logan's difficult personality to a T. I'll let you know if I learn something useful.


P.S. We took Eli with us to see Avatar. We left Logan with a sitter (totally worth the 35 bucks). I was a little concerned that the loud noises would scare Eli, but he just politely cooed and smiled at the screeching creatures and horrendous battles. He sat on our laps silently for the entire film (nearly 3 hours). Avree, remember when we talked about your nephew that sat on his mom's lap for an entire full length grown-up film? Well, Eli is just like that kid.

I feel like I should say something about Logan: He chose his clothes today. He wanted a shark shirt, but it was dirty, so he slammed his head into the wall a bunch of times. But, he's still cute.

Can you tell that I am convinced that parenting-methods don't matter nearly as much as the child's own personality?

3 comments:

The Quintana Family said...

Logan reminds me so much of my own son. He hasn't ever resorted to slamming his head into the wall, but he screams and cries at the top of his lungs and throws his whole body to the floor. Every single time he hears no, or is told to do something he doesn't want to it's the end of the world.

Avree said...

Haha, your posts always make me smile.

I am with you on Avatar. Cool effects but not the most amazing story-line.

Wow! You've got "that kid" who will sit through a movie, way to go! To bad your other one is explosive, easily frustrated, and chronically inflexible. (Kidding, you know I think Logan is adorable)

By the way, thank you SO MUCH for the backyardigans. Last week I turned on Barney for Spencer (Matt had put it in the DVD player earlier for him) and he threw a fit and screamed "Back-guns!" Hooray! No more Barney!

Elena Loo said...

Huck used to sit through movies... oh the good old days. I'm glad you guys got to go out though. I agree with you on avatar. Cool, but the story line didn't seem like anything new. Anyways - I hope the books helps! Huck doesn't throw a tantrum too often, but when he does, I know I wouldn't be able to handle a lot of them. So - pretty much you're amazing.