Saturday, January 10, 2009

The small things in our life that make a BIG difference.


At first glance some things just aren't exciting or special. I am literally talking about things, little gadgets and what nots that I overlook and ignore when I don't need to use them. Here are a few such things that have made a big difference at our house during this past week.

1. Space heaters. Hallelujah!! Heating oil is not the best way to heat a home and I SWEAR our furnace has parties down in the basement and glugs and gargles and chugs our heating oil tank to empty at an unbelievable rate. Today we gained two new family members: the space heaters, yet to be named, but loved immensely. I am reveling in my 70 degree living room and am shedding one pair of fleece pants (I am still wearing one pair). We were trying to conserve money, so we didn't keep the house furnace at a humane temperature. Now Logan's room is toasty and so is ours. Thank you Walmart for my warm house.

2. The safety kids tape. It was mine as a child, and is now on a cd. The safety kids sang beautifully and kept Logan still while I cut his hair. It was time, today a lady called him a cute little girl.

3. Sham Wows. Our basement flooded (washer malfunction), a portion of the carpet got wet. Never fear, sham wow saved the day. Seth sopped up water for 2 hours, but it was well worth it, the carpet and pad are both bone dry.

4. Vacuums-Both large and dust-buster sized. I also love that when I use the big vacuum, Logan gets the dust buster with both hands and "helps" me.

5. GPS systems. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of this pending family member. I am sick of :hopping on one free way, missing the exit to the next freeway, driving like I know where I am going and then seeing signs for Richmond VA, and downtown DC. Way too far South. The silver lining is that I have become quite familiar with downtown Annapolis. :) I can't wait for little Garmin or little Tom Tom to join the Farnsworth clan. P.S. I have been using maps and mapquest and google maps, I still KEEP getting lost.

6. A video ipod which makes a 5 hour flight purely relaxing and full of peace. See it in action, pictured above.

7. This post is no longer about things: A teeny little boy who says "nnnnnno" whenever I ask if he needs his diaper changed. I laugh each time.

8. The same teeny little boy whose blonde hair puffs when he runs toward me to give me a kiss. The kisses sound like this "mmmmmuh".

9. Laundry bags that I can throw down my flights of stairs whilst yelling "geronimo!" Logan and I both agree that this is hilarious.

10. Library cards. I love the room full baby einsteins and other such kid entertainment. I also love that the library is free.

11. I'll stop with this one. My family and my friends, the people who remind me now and then with phone calls and emails that it is the small things that make all the difference!

9 comments:

Patty Girl said...

I love Safety Kids! I listened to them when I was little. Very valuable. Also, I have been wondering about those Sham wows. They must be as miraculous as they claim.

marni said...

wa-hoo! most people don't know the safety kids! i, too, have the cassette tape and need to transfer it to cd. and i love the sham wow commercial so it's good to know that they work.

and to answer your question, yes andrew got bit by a dog. he goes running in the mornings and the dog was jumping on him. when he turned his back to him the dog jumped and clamped onto his leg. luckily andrew kind of turned to kick the dog before it clamped on too hard. he almost died when he was 3 because he got attacked by a dog. he wasn't too happy this time around. he wanted to go back and shoot it. :)

fyi-space heaters suck electricity. at least ours does. so beware when you get your electric bill. :) but they are lovely things.

Avree said...

I also had Safety Kids tapes! I wonder if they still sell them. I love the way Logan looks with the ipod, it cracks me up! I'm glad the flooding thing turned out alright, what a pain!

Wanderingfamilies said...

I love this post! I especially love the ode to space heaters! I also grew up with Safety Kids! Hope you are enjoying the East!

DeeAura said...

SAFETY KIDS!!!! Oh, I NEEEED that cd! I mean, I'll have to get that when I have kids....*ahem*.

Kara, I love this post! I love reading your blog...it reminds me how funny you are and how much I purely enjoy you. And that little Logan dude gets cooler with every picture!

Space heaters: higher electricity bill, but addicting. I had a roommate my last year at USU who would cuddle up to hers and fall asleep. I had to turn it off and remove it from her clutches every night when I came in to go to sleep. She got burned more than once because she just. wouldn't. let. go. I beg of you: please don't try to sleep with yours. :)

And if it helps? I would be at the mercy of the freeway masses if I were there. I hope your new family member comes soon!! ;)

Katie-babe said...

I just love your pic of Logan. He is such a hoot. Timothy loves Josh's I-Touch. He trys to snag it all of the time to watch a movie on it.

Timothy has a space heater also, but our power bill went up $40 a month!!!! Ouch. They take all of your extra money, but it is worth it to keep Timothy warm at night.

Loved talking to you on the phone!!! It was way fun. I am trying to pack every thing up this week so we can move in this weekend. But first I have to go over to the new house and dust and clean and vacuum before we can move. UG. I hate moving.

Sounds like things are going well for you. We miss all three of you. When you come this July, we have to get together. Miss ya!

Katie

Trevor + Tiffany said...

Hi Kara! The space heater is GREAT!! Why didn't I think of that?! Our heating bill literally goes up 200% in the winter...Yikes! Well I'm sorry your hubby had to leave when you had a tiny baby. My hubby is only gone 2 months so it's more like a work trip. I take comfort in knowing it's almost over as soon as it began:) Kudos to you, I don't know how I would cope if my hubby left for as long as yours :) P.S. I'm jealous of where you live!

DeeAura said...

KARA. You are NOT like her!!! hahahah! I'm just glad you see the humor in it. :) I don't think I've ever seen your and you're and everything else used incorrectly so much in one place. :)

Jennilyn and Chad said...

Logan looks so cute in this picture!! How's life in MD? Your husband's job sounds pretty cool! How long do you anticipate being out there? It's such a great time to get out of Utah and experience the "real world" while your family is young! I kind of always wanted to do that, but life didn't really work out that way. Chad was accepted in a few grad school programs out of state, but even with that, there were other opportunities here in Utah that just fit...so here we still are! But we love it. Are you working or are you home with your baby?