Sunday, January 3, 2010

Slamming head into wall......

If Logan gets bored, tired, sad, or ornery he pulls out this charming behavior: slamming his head into the wall. He then cries and comes to me for sympathy. He's been doing it for about a year. I decided to ignore it to see if it went away, it has not. Someone once suggested that it might be an "attention getter." Perhaps if it had started with the new brother that might be a valid suggestion. However, he's been slamming his head or smacking himself for attention since before Eli was even thought of.

Anyway I have a New Year's resolution to well, resolve this or atleast make my life more bearable. So I found some great ideas on other's blogs and I've tried over the past 3 weeks.

Alas, I am slamming my head into the wall now though, because here are the reactions I've gathered thus far:

Making a fruit loop necklace: Logan wanted to eat the entire box in one sitting and something about having the cereal on a string really ticked him off and he had a tantrum.

Painting a piece of toast with paint (food coloring in milk): Tantrum, before he even tried it. Then he tried it and something about the toast ticked him off and he had another tantrum.

Counting Money: He wanted to throw the coins all over the house; he did. I made him pick them up and, tantrum. P.S. He swallowed a quarter the day before Christmas eve; he threw it back up and guess what that made him do? He screamed and threw a tantrum.

Puzzles: Too frustrating he gets ticked off and, tantrums.

Playdough: tears it into tiny pieces and grinds it into the carpet OR demands that I make things for him and then freaks when he squishes it OR eats it.

Driving his trucks in a big plastic tub of beans: Loved it, threw beans EVERYWHERE. I made him clean up the beans, and tantrum.

Playing at the mall in the germ pit: Got ticked that there were other children to compete with and would only sit by me. I threatened to take us back home and he begrudgingly played, but he kept slamming his head on the floor and coming over for sympathy.

Library: Runs really fast away from me screaming and disturbs all who are there. We don't go to the library anymore.

Bubbles: tantrum when I stop blowing or the machines batteries die.

Painting with shaving cream: Fa-reaked when his hands "got dirty"

Books: He can handle one, then it's too boring and we're back to whining and unhappiness.

Today at church he threw a piece of his magnetic doll-boy's clothing at the man's face who was sitting behind us. Lovely.

I've decided this: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I am now slamming my head against the wall. I guess when Logan wants to be upset, there is nothing that will change his mind. :) He is definitely my son, I also HATE January and how it makes us trapped inside the house all day long.

*Kudos to the blogger mom with the sweet girl who is Logan's age and who apparently enjoys doing things versus crying and throwing tantrums.

I am just dreaming of summer with its long days and warm sun that lets us play OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Avree said...

Haha, I loved this post so much I had Matt read it. Sounds like you should just let him watch movies all day. Spencer and I are going a little stir-crazy with this cold weather also. I'm excited for you to come visit!

The Quintana Family said...

It sounds like you have tried everything. Unfortunately for us as parents, there are some things we can't change in our kids no matter how hard we try (like the fact that my son cries like I am murdering him everytime he doesn't get his way, or someone hurts him, or takes a toy from him!). It must be something Logan is just going to have to grow out of. Hopefully, for your sanity, it's soon!

Jennifer said...

Kara,
My little boy Brandon totally did the same thing! He would get mad at me for the littlest things and go bang his head on the wall, floor, and and door. ARG! He did this for about 4 months. It stinks. All we could do was try and stop him and just give him hugs and tell him that it was wrong to do that, and it made mommy sad.
But really, all we could do was just let him grow out of it and try and stop him. sigh.
We also would try to reward him if he was happy about things instead of getting mad.
I hope this helps you! I was totally there! It sucks!

Jennifer said...

I know, I just left this huge comment, but I thought of one more thing. :)
When we need Brandon (2 yrs old) to help pick up his toys, we sing a clean up song. This has helped him to think that it is fun to clean up. (sometimes!)
:)

marni said...

I love reading your posts! Seriously, it felt like I was the only one who has a devil child because on lots of other people's post, they'd say how they just love their kids and they're all just little angels and how it's so fun being a mom all the time. (I know that was a huge run-on sentence, but at least I used "their and they're" right, right? ) It's not that I'm saying I don't like being a mom, it's just that people rarely say how hard it is. Especially when you have age 2 to 19 year olds. Thanks for making me smile!

Kerry and Dave said...

Is it bad that I am totally laughing at your post? Maybe that's just because I'm listening to Tanner have a complete melt-down and trying to procrastinate cleaning up the play dough that is all over my kitchen and family room as I write this. Well, off to deal with T's tantrum!

Patty Girl said...

At least Logan is consistent about not liking things. And he has found a very concrete method to show his dislike. Those are good things right? I am with you, we need summer soon! January is my least favorite month because the holidays are over and you are still stuck with the miserable cold. Good luck entertaining Logan for a few more months.

Maybury said...

I love it! I agree about the January thing. I hate being cooped up in the house. It sounds like you have ever right to bang your head against the wall. Just don't do it in public. You might get some odd looks. Ha ha!
I heard somewhere that children don't understand the concept of cleaning up and that we shouldn't expect to clean up before the age of 5. I think it is a little nuts. Maybe just have him put one thing away.
I also like the idea of having a fit with him. I remember when my Grandma had a fit once on the floor because my cousin had a fit. I thought my Grandma had gone completely nuts. He might be a little young, but it is worth a try. Sometimes when I act out like Grant he looks at my like "holy cow mom you have lost your marbles" then the event is humorous not tragic.
Good luck! I hope he grows out of it soon like Jennifer said. My mom always says the scriptures never say "and it came to stay" so everything will eventually move on.