Thursday, February 12, 2009

I would like to house-sit.

Is there anyone here in Maryland who would like us to house sit for you? Are there any older couples in our ward that would like to go on a mission and let us rent your house? I am not serious, but I would take an offer if it came my way.

Our basement floods whenever I do laundry. So I stopped doing laundry until it got fixed. There was no drain in the basement, just a shoddy pump that was clogged with former renter's cigarette butts and other crap. We had to pay $100.00 for the repairs (nice landlord eh?)

I would gladly do laundry again, the mountains of dirty clothes are well, mountainous. But I can't. Last night Seth saw a mouse in the basement. This morning I found mouse droppings in the baskets that I store food in, in our too small kitchen. I found more under Logan's high-chair, more in the coat closet, more behind my couch, under my coffee table, up each step, and under my bedroom dresser. I vacuum every other day, and the droppings were not there when we went to sleep. We set traps, but they remain empty and the mice remain at large.

I can't do laundry because I am afraid a mouse will hide in my clean clothes, or my dirty clothes. I am scared of my basement.

Our original agreement with our landlord was that he would pay for an initial extermination, if we needed more during our stay, we would pay. I scheduled everything. Tonight at 6 pm, he called and informed us that we must foot the bill and that he will not pay for it until we can produce the document that our remax agent has stating that our landlord agreed to exterminate.....

Meanwhile: I cancelled the extermination while we wait for the paperwork. I am living with mice, my baby's toys and such have mice crawling on them at night.

I am not looking for advice on how to "tell your landlord...... blah blah blah. It doesn't work in Maryland. I've already talked to him. He is a slum lord. There are too many people out here, so renting in Maryland is very very different than renting in Utah.

I want a new landlord, or MY OWN home (which would be a dump out here), no, wait, I want to move to a place where $1400/month could get me something nice and clean, without mice and a washer that drains.

12 comments:

Meagan said...

HOLY CRAP... I am so sorry that you live with mice, YUCKY... That is Horrible. I hope you can get rid of them or like you said, "House Sit" that would be super nice. Good Luck with all the flooding, mice poop and whatever else.....

Carly said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Kara, I'm so sorry. How frustrating. And your landlord sounds like a winner. I can only imagine how you are feeling. What a nightmare. I feel so bad for you! I sure hope everything works out for you. Stupid mice. I can't believe you're paying that much and your landlord won't help with anything. Yeesh. Let me know how things go. I'm sure everything will end up okay. Good luck. Love you!

Coul and Kelse Rich said...

Kara....I am so sorry!! I know what it is like having crappy landlords. In our first apartment we got MOLD on our inner walls and he wouldn't let us out of the contract...little to say, with my hotheadedness, I was able to get out of there with all my money back.....So I wish you the best of luck...And I will pray that all those dang mice DIE!!

marni said...

i can totally relate, unfortunately. although, it's not our washer that's flooding it's the kitchen sink that is plugged and won't drain. so that makes it fun when we run the dishwasher. :p as for the mice, we just got rid of a whole infestation that we had no idea that we had until recently. we tried the regular traps but they didn't work so we purchased the sticky traps specifically for mice. those did the trick. we had to buy a lot but haven't had any problems for a few weeks. so try those. and we put a little cracker in the middle of them to make them even more enticing. it's so disgusting to know that you've been living with little creatures that carry nasty diseases when you have little kids in the house, huh? :)

The Rigbys said...

Oh man, that sucks! When we lived in the USU trailer court, the main line to the sewer broke and we didn't know because it was winter. So every time we flushed the toilet or used the water it would just come back out of the sewer line, and the sewage would just freeze under the trailer. Then Spring came and we smelled something gross because everything was melting. We came to find that we had raw sewage and toilet paper all under our trailer. Nasty! I'm so sorry about the mice and drain! I hope everything works out!

DeeAura said...

eeewwww, mice! Ick. I hate them. Droppings are the worst. I was just going to suggest the sticky ones...those are the ones my parents had to use when we had mice when I was younger. Gross. It still gives me shivers just thinking about it. You. are. so. brave. :)

Avree said...

Nasty. I'd die if I had mice and I know what a clean freak you are so I'm sure you're dying. It seems like there's got to be something in the law about landlords having to take care of mice infestations. Good luck with the traps!

Ann said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the mice. We've had mice before. It was in my kitchen. I put out 14 traps in my kitchen and along the baseboards out of the kitchen and it took me 3 days to catch it. I hope you can get ride of them soon.

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

Oh goodness! What adventures. I can't even imagine the mice thing. Perhaps you should get a cat? Is that allowed. Maybe that would keep the mice away at least till extermination can occur.

Kerry and Dave said...

Gosh, you do have a crappy landlord! I didn't know they could refuse something as standard as extermination. what a jerk. Get a pest bomb (or whatever the heck they're called). They're inexpensive and do the trick!

The Cassity's said...

OH no, we had lots of mice out in Clinton, and we owned the home. I personally witnessed 5. One was almost dead in my daughter's basement and she almost picked it while she was playing one day. I remember doing laundry and hoping that none would crawl out of the piles. I don't recommend decon though, my parents used it and had a mouse rot in one of their walls and they had to cut out the sheetrock. I am so sorry, how long is your lease for...

Elena Loo said...

Oh scary... I hope it works out!!
My hubby Josh is looking to possibly do grad school in MD... Any advice on housing so we don't end up with mice and plumbing issues too? Ahh!!