Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lancaster Pennsylvania

We went to Lancaster county in Pennsylvania for our President's day. It's a 2 hour drive from us, and is something I've always wanted to see. It was really nice to get to an area with hills and less people, instead of just flat old busy eastern Maryland. We rode the old time steam engine in Strasburg PA. Logan loved the train. It was preserved in its 1908 state, and I felt like I should have seen Charles Ingalls in the next seat over.

Inside our train car.

After the train ride (expensive and not so great, don't spend money on it if you're ever in the area), we took a self driven tour of Bird in Hand PA. It's an Amish town, and I loved it. The Amish are Pennsylvania Dutch, and the speak a mixture of German/English. I have always had an obsession with wanting to live in pioneer times ever since I was a little girl. Now that I am a big girl I have grown to love things like epidurals, c-sections, hot showers, and electricity. It was truly amazing to see people thriving and really living an old time life.



I took some pictures of a couple of buggies that we passed while driving (they were everywhere). The Amish have the most beautiful farms. We saw a couple of farmers with 6 Clydesdales each, hitched to horse-drawn plows out in the fields.

My favorite was the ingenious laundry lines strung from house to silo on a pulley system. If I had a clothesline that I could load from inside my house, I would totally use it.

We finished off the day with homemade Pennsylvania Dutch pretzels for dinner, read James E. Faust's conference talk about the forgiving Amish town in PA, had a lesson about each type: amish, quaker, shaker, mennonite, and watched "Witness" on Clear Play.

It was a great day!

7 comments:

DeeAura said...

I just need you to know that's exactly where I was the earlier that summer you got married. Remember those days? Yep. I was hangin out with the Amish. Err...Menonites, I suppose. Whatever. Either one. Loved. it. :) Also, I just barely got rid of the "Seth" cut-out poster last year. He lasted quite a while. Hhehe.

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

What a fun day trip. I have always wanted to go visit an Amish town. So jelous you got too. Looks like you had a lot of fun! And perhaps I am slow, but did you cut your hair off? Love the new picture at the top of your blog.

Avree said...

Matt and I visited an Amish town in Missouri but I think they were cheaters because we went in a bakery and they had electricity and convection ovens and stuff. It was still fun to see the way they dressed and stuff though. Glad you had a fun time reveling in amishness!

Patty Girl said...

I was bummed I didn't get to visit the Amish when I was in PA because I have always wanted to. I love that you guys are getting to see such cool stuff out there. And I am also glad that you caught the mouse/ beat your land lord.

Katy and Rob Bodily said...

Fun trip. Wouldn't it be crazy to live in an Amish town. Wearng dressess, riding in buggies, no media...that would definately be different. Side note...Rob just told me that he met some Amish people while on his mission and they told him they don't like their picture taken because it "steals their soul." Maybe you should think twice before photographing them in he future. just kidding. I am glad you guys are enjoying the sights of the east.

Kerry and Dave said...

I'm so glad you made it out there! Sounds like a fun amish-themed day from start to finish! You'll have to fill me in on the difference between all the different sects you discussed... I've always wondered that too!

Wanderingfamilies said...

I love Amish Country...my grandmother used to live ther and we visited her every other weekend growing up...beautiful!