Friday, December 18, 2009

Helicopter ride!

I'll bet no one else got a helicopter ride for Christmas~
Well, Eli and I did. We rode life flight from the E.R. in Annapolis to the Peds emergency dept. at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. Driving takes about 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) but FLYING takes 10 minutes. Much more efficient.

Seth and Logan went to cub scouts on Wednesday night and Eli and I had a relaxing evening planned. HAH!

At 7:30 that evening Eli became really fussy. Fussy became frantic, frantic became melt-down (vintage Logan style), and melt-down become demonic pained scream. My 6 week old was literally climbing up my body with his legs....I fed him, he threw up and got really sweaty.

I got really worried and we both were crying. I decided to check his temp (the bum kind) and that's when I found it.

Things were wrong in little man land, so we headed to Annapolis to the E.R. Apparently it's a popular Wednesday night hang out, because it was standing room only. They whisked us back quickly (when you're only 6 weeks old you get special treatment). The doctor said Eli was the first real emergency he'd seen all night. We saw a pediatrician who informed us that we would be life flighted to Johns Hopkins. Eli had either a twisted man part, or an incarcerated hernia. Both require surgery. WHAT?

When the flight nurses arrived all expertly clad in Johns Hopkins flight suits, I was a nervous wreck. But I held it together, Eli's "issue" had improved and it wasn't life or death, it never was life or death ever. We were flown because time is of the essence when things go wrong down yonder in a dude (even in a teeny dude). Because it wasn't life or death, I was actually kind of excited to fly in the helicopter.

Eli wore teeny ear muffs and rode on the gurney (sp?). I had left the house in such a frenzy that I was only wearing a zip up fleece jacket and sweat pants, they were red but 2 different shades of red. I also was sporting the nursing mother look (no bra, yep I left in that big of a hurry). So one of the flight nurses lent me his coat. I looked like one of "the team" and admittedly I felt pretty cool. I got to wear a head set with a mic. I really really wanted to blurt out "Maverick this is Goose," but felt it would be entirely inappropriate to joke around in the life flight chopper. So I just imagined myself saying that.

We arrived very speedily to JH and the condition was no longer an emergency. We had x-rays and ultrasounds and we got to stay up ALL NIGHT LONG! Eli was such a trooper, he didn't even really cry when they placed his I.V. and he was pretty tolerant of not being able to eat (pretty tolerant for a 6 week old who weighs 13 pounds). I saw about 47 doctors (not really, but we did see a lot). There's nothing like 7 doctors doing rounds in a very tiny room. They poked and prodded and one was expecially arrogant. Eli peed on the arrogant Dr. (yeah!).

Diagnosis: He had a stragulated hernia, it retracted. He needs surgery but they don't want to do it until he is 12 weeks old. They will if it's another emergency, but they don't want to put him under general anesthiasieioaoeoseo (way too tired to attempt spelling that one). We are visiting the urologist next week and they'll decide when to do the surgery. In the mean time I'll be a bit freaked out wondering if it's going to come back.

I did have one ego-stroking moment. The peds urologist asked me if I was in the medical field. I said I was a dietitian and he said "you are very savvy." Ahhh, well, yes I am doc, thanks for noticing. I also think the other E.R. clientele helped me seem even more awesome.

A special thanks goes out to Dave and Kerry for taking Logan at a moments notice and for keeping him all night long. Also, thanks to Ronda for taking Logan the next day so that the zombie parents could sleep. I love our ward.

It was one LONG ordeal. I hope my third child is a girl :)

9 comments:

marni said...

Holy Crapbag! I'm glad everything's going ok, for now. I would have totally shared the "Top Gun" quote. "I've got a need...a need for speed."

I hope everything gets taken care of speedily for the little guy.

Jennifer said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I hope he is ok! That is so crazy! You poor mom! Keep us all updated. I know how crazy it is having two little boys!

And randomly, I am DeeAura's little sister, just in case you forgot. :)

Meagan said...

WOW. That is scary. HOpefully he gets all better and you don't have to do that again.

Carly said...

Holy moly, Kara! What a night! I'm so glad they took such good care of Eli. Now I'm going to get up on my soapbox for a minute, kay? I'm glad you posted about this because now mom's out there now know what an emergency it is if your little boys have any problems down there. And you couldn't be more correct...time is of the essence!!! Speaking as someone who has seen multiple parents wait too long to come in -resulting in the loss of a family jewel for a small boy- I'm glad you paid such good attention to your little man. I've spent many a time in the wee hours of the morning ultrasounding boy parts making sure nothing is twisted or herniated. Best story? There was a 16 year old boy en route to Seattle who happened to be flying over SLC when he suddenly had extreme pain down low. They landed the plane for him and brought him by ambulance to me. And it was twisted....and the urologist saved it. Anywho...way to be mama.

Kerry and Dave said...

Okay, I am laughing hysterically at all of your boy-part references. "Down yonder" "Little-man-land", etc. You are too funny. And on behalf of all the medical professionals in the Baltimore-area, they thank you for keeping the local hospitals in business over the last 2 months! But for your sake, hope business slows down!

The Garfields said...

wow Kara. Sounds like you had quit the experience! I don't envy you in the least. I will say that I am a little freaked out to be having a boy. I had no idea whatsoever stuff could happen like that. Thanks for the heads up :) Wishing the best for Eli

Coul and Kelse Rich said...

Good Heavens Kara, you have been through some crazy things this pregnancy!! You are such a trooper and an AMAZING Mom. I am glad that everything is OK!!

Katy and Rob Bodily said...

I am really sorry about your ordeal. I hope Eli will be okay after his surgery. I can't beleive how well you handled that. You are awesome.

BD said...

Dad and I have laughed our heads off reading all your interesting words for boy body parts. Rushing out the door so quickly you didn't have a bra. Funny stuff! So anxious to see you guys.