There were only 20 or so of us on the flight, including our husbands, so we had freedom of the plane. Military planes don't have the nice seats like commercial airlines, instead they're little cot-like seats along the walls and the middle of the plane is open. Since it isn't commercial you can walk all over inside and do whatever really.
The KC-135s are refueling planes. This little window is where I am laying in the next shot. You have to lie on your belly and the window is underneath you. The yellow strap behind me is the "boom operator's" belt. He is lying on his stomach and he controls the "boom" (the thing that refuels the F 15). I am lying right next to him, the jets were so close you could wave to the pilots . Keep in mind this all happened whilst we were 20,000 feet in the air. SWEET! Also, I didn't get to refuel the jet (I probably would have ruined a multi-million dollar aircraft) but I did get to play with the toggle stick that controls the boom when no planes were anywhere near.
Before the jets met up with us, I just got to lay on my belly and look out the window under me and watch all the mountains and such go by underneath me. It was so relaxing, I could've taken a nap!
These are some cool shots of the jets flying just off our wings! YIKES! It was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
Since my father-in-law is a lieutenant colonel and was on the flight with us, he was able to arrange for me to ride home in the cockpit. It was AWESOME! I got to ride with the pilot and co pilot and the boom operator's daughters up front. It was like looking through the windshield of a car, but we were in the air. I saw Kennecot copper mine and I got to see all the commercial planes descending below us to the Salt Lake Airport. Here is a video clip I made of the cockpit, don't I look official with the headset on? Oh yeah, the plane was made in the 1950's so the instrument panels were way cool.
7 comments:
That is THE coolest thing ever. You are so lucky to have this experience. That looked way fun.
That was definitely worth post-poning a play date!!!! HOw awesome. It's also cool to see some of what Seth does. Way fun. I'll talk to you soon.
I am way jeolous! I hope once I get done with training I will be able to do stuff like that. I'm sure Marni would love it too!
Matt is so jealous! We watched your video and I think I saw him drooling. Matt wants to know if there is friend appreciation day and if so, does Seth want to hang out soon?
How exciting!? What a thrill-seeker you are! That's awesome! Your hair looks really good by the way, so smooth and silky...highlights? Tell me what your secret is!
Wow! Sounds like quite the experience. You're brave.
andrew is wrong. i would not love that. i've never had a desire to ride in one of those planes and i'm pretty sure if i went in the bubble thing, i would freak out. i've never even gotten into one of those things at any of the family days. i don't like small spaces. :)i do love to fly though. looks like you had lots of fun! why didn't you take logan? ;)
Post a Comment