Thursday, October 15, 2009

Baby Update = October birthday.

Well, I had an ultrasound and exam today. I am 1 at cm and the process is underway. Eli looks to be weighing in between 7 lb. 12 ounces and 8 pounds. I am supposedly only 36 weeks, so some big decisions are to be made within the next week. Speaking of big: total weight gain for me, 46 freaking pounds. Good Grief, I now weigh more than a particular running back on the San Diego Charger's....... The ultrasound showed the placenta is mature and that Eli's lungs are in practice....what does that mean? My doctor gave me 10 days to go into labor, then if I don't, I schedule a c-section. What does that mean......well, it means we'll have a baby before Halloween! Because I had a previous c-section, I cannot be induced, there is too much risk for the "damaged" uterus.......so I MUST go into labor on my own, and dilate, in order to attempt a vbac.

I asked to have my membranes stripped next week, but my doctor said I'd have to "twist both arms behind his back" in order to convince him to intervene with the history I have...he is a very good doctor and I trust his judgement.

My mom is now flying in Oct. 25th and is LEAVING on my original due date, Nov. 11th (sorry Ash, no birthday birth for you).

Here's to the next 10 days, and hoping they'll bring some painful and fruitful contractions!

11 comments:

marni said...

That's so exciting. (but scary, too, huh?) And don't worry about the weight gain. I gained more than that with Lilly. It's quite shocking. Speaking of which, I think they should turn you around when they weigh you at the doctor. Cause it just sucks.

I had my membranes stripped with Grant. Not a pleasant experience. I had been having pretty regular contractions before he did that. The night he did it, pretty painful ones. And then they stopped. And I didn't have any more. And I didn't dilate any more on my own after that. Is that too much info?

Hopefully you can go into labor on your own. I'll send you good labor vibes. Think they'll make it all the way across the country? Good luck!!!! Keep us posted!

Emily said...

Good Luck Kara. Don't worry about the weight, once you have the baby you won't care if you gained 100 lbs. I have some good going into labor tips if you want, let me know!

Carly said...

Wow! I'm super excited for you! I'm wishing contractions and labor pains for you. Can I tell you I almost had a panic attack the other day when I realized I'm going to have to push this thing out in 6 months???????

Stacie Marietti White said...

That is exciting Kara!! Good luck these next ten days. I will be thinking about you!!

Elena Loo said...

oh man Kara, that is way exciting! We'll hope that all happens as desired: labor, birth, joy. Keep us updated. We'd love to help in any way possible.

Katie-babe said...

I am so excited for you!! Lets hope that every thing turns out ok for you and the baby. Glad that all of the nasty mold is going away. Always scary to be in an older house when you don't know what is growing in it. Blah! How big was Logan when he was born? Your next one sounds to be big. Good luck with that. Love you!!!

Coul and Kelse Rich said...

Kara I am so excited for you!! And A Halloween baby would be fun!! Good Luck and keep us posted!!

Maybury said...

Hurray! Let me know if scheduled c-sections are better than emergency ones. I am a little nervous about having another baby for that reason.

Emily said...

Alright, so the night before I had Harrison I ate this chicken pizza that had probably 2-3 HEADS of garlic on it. It was not an enjoyable meal, mind you, but I think he smelled all that garlic coming down the hatch and decided to get out of there. There is also the "not so appropriate to post as a comment on you blog" activity you can participate in (unless your doc has advised against that). I will send labor vibes your way. Good luck cutie!

Bj and Christie said...

I am excited for you, horray for baby number two. I Hope everything goes well and Eli gets here in a safe and (less painful) way! Good luck with the contractions. And don't worry about the weight, I gained that much with Brock and it is slowly coming off( I hope).

Modern Mommy said...

Congratulations! Hope everything goes well!