Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Seeking advice.

Instead of offering my opinions disguised as "advice," this post is advice-seeking.

My life then: Before having my child, I was one of those "my kid won't EVER do that in the store/doctor's office/church....etc, BECAUSE I will do [insert appropriate tactic].

My life now: Every SINGLE disciplinary tactic that I once embraced may or may not work at any given moment on the child that I love. (Emphasis on love). I've asked suggestions from parents of children who are admirably behaved, and am occasionally met with a blank stare, or a "mine's only done that once" *true stories by the way. I must have found the two best behaved children on the planet and then asked their parents what they do....anyway,

My need: There are lots of other mischevious children besides my own, and I need some advice. What do you moms do when you need to discipline in public. I need an idea of how to get through Costco, or Kohl's or anywhere really, now that I am pregnant and unable to run after my tot. Ahem, spanking hasn't proven successful in changing the behavior. Also, I've tried leaving the store, placing my bundle of joy in his carseat, shutting the car door, walking just out of sight, and rather than scream, he is gleeful that we have left the store. He sits calmly and triumphantly as he awaits my return.

I'd like to reason with him with a treat or something, like "if you're good you'll get -----," BUT he's 2 and can't reason yet. So, I need advice. How can I keep my kid from running away from me in the store? He kicks and climbs out of carts now, which is a new development, which is why I have made this post. We have a monkey backpack, which he loves, but only when we are going the direction of his choice. If I tug the tail to go a different way, he lays on the floor and screams.

After reading through this, I've decided that I will just not take him with me anymore. He is a good boy who hates shopping----sigh.

Seriously though: How do you all discipline bad behavior when you're away from home?

5 comments:

The Quintana Family said...

Have you looked on Supernanny or Nanny 911 website? They always have tips. I don't the exact site, but you can always google it and find out for sure. I know it sounds crazy, but I really do watch those shows a lot and get really good ideas about discipline on them. Your son probably understands more than you think as far as reasoning goes. Don't start with the bribing with toys now, or it could be bad later. My nephew is 6, and he still thinks he needs a new toy everytime they go to Walmart because my sister did that.

Avree said...

Spencer is kind of too young to discipline so I have no idea how to help. I know my mom and sister really like the books "Parenting with Love and Logic" and "Dare to Discipline". Being the nerd that I am, I'd say read a book about it.

Nicole said...

Well when Jason runs away from me at the store... Ha ha! Just kidding. I just wanted to let you know I like reading your blog even though I don't have kids yet I think your posts are entertaining. I don't know if we've met before. If we have it was probably at my wedding reception and that is just such a blur! Anyway, good luck with your boys!

Anonymous said...

Tyler and I were just discussing this the other day. How do you discipline in public? It's like Colin has learned that if we are around people we don't know he can get away with murder. We are trying time out. He only has to sit for 20 seconds (I heard 10 second for every year) but he does seem to respond and understand it. But it's really hard to do in public. If I come up with something more I will let you know. Isn't this age fun!?!

Jayne said...

It cracked me up when you asked me for advice on my blog - no one's ever done that before! My give advice? Hahaha! But, *ahem* here goes.

Kids need freedom to grow (physically, mentally, etc.) and boundaries to stay safe. It has worked well for me (so far) to give my kids all the freedom they want, as long as they are headed in the right direction. Then when it comes time to steer them back into course they don't fight back because I'm not doing it all the time.
I also never attempt public if they are anywhere close to tired or hungry. My car is stocked with crackers and fruit leather and we munch everywhere we go (I'm pregnant too, can you tell?)
Raising kids is the hardest job in the world. I'm trying to be as exactly like my Mom as possible in this area, because my siblings are my best friends now. She gave us a lot of freedom, a great example of a good person, and we all chose right.

Kara, like you said. He might just hate shopping. If he's great the rest of the time, then maybe give him a break and go when you can go without him.


Disclaimer: Please feel free to disregard this entire comment:)