Sunday, May 3, 2009

Memorial in D.C.

On Wednesday there was a memorial for Uncle Bill in the Rayburn building which is right next to the Capitol building in D.C. I drove into Bolling AFB and picked up my cousin Brianne (whom I never see because she is stationed at Ramstein AFB in Germany). She was able to extend her leave and make it to the funeral and then to the D.C. reception. P.S. I only live 45 minutes from D.C.

There were about 30-40 people there, and all of them knew and worked with my uncle. Various congressmen including this white-haired man from Texas and the other lone man pictured. The large group is my uncle's former staff. They all had nice things to say about him along with words of admiration and respect. There were pictures placed around the financial services room and there was a little printed memorial program. It was nice to be able to see my cousins and aunt and to pay tribute to my uncle since I wasn't able to fly home for his funeral.



There was no traffic for me, we found a PRIME parking spot just below the capitol (which doesn't happen in D.C.), and had a nice time.

Brianne and I had some major adventures/issues with finding a place to eat. Garmin kept taking us to abandoned buildings. We were afraid of getting murdered, but obvioulsy we survived. Although, we did begin driving up a free-way on ramp after accidently crossing the Potomac. We saw some geese and a navy battleship and tall grasses that rapists were probably hiding in down by the Anacostia river.....

We ended up eating at an Irish Pub (very tasty) after ruling out the meth labs and one Morocon restaurant which only offered a 7 course meal with a non-optional belly dance. Adventures, it was fun!

No comments: